If you are experiencing irregular bowel movement, chances are you are constipated. Constipation refers to the lack of regular passage of stools. Every day, people should move their bowels out of their body. Failure to do so can lead to several complications in the colon. If you do not excrete on a regular basis, you feel unwell and uncomfortable.
Aside from discomfort, constipation can also trigger hemorrhoids. Whenever you pass hard and dry stools, the thin lining around your anus and the colon canal is irritated. If this happens, you will usually see red spots and streaks of blood. If you leave this untreated, the scars will worsen to the point that you will need to undergo surgery.
Top causes of constipation
Anybody can suffer from this. However, constipation is more common among people who eat less fiber and formula-fed babies. Here are some of the common causes of constipation:
- Dehydration – Water helps in the smooth passing of feces. The more dehydrated you are, the harder your stools will be, making it more difficult to excrete. This is why one of the best constipation remedies is to load up on water.
- Stress – Bowel movement is triggered by the brain. If you are too stressed out to think, your brain is not giving out the proper signal to the body parts involved that the stools need to be excreted out of your system.
- Lack of exercise – Sometimes, leading a passive type of life can affect your bowel movement. Whether you believe it or not, exercise helps a lot in the smooth bowel movement.
- Diet – People whose diet consists of nothing but meat are more constipated than individuals who take in proper amounts of vegetables and fruits. Meat indeed has the highest protein content, but it lacks the fiber needed by the body. Vegetables and fruits contain all the dietary fiber that aids in bowel movement.
Easy-to-do Remedies for Constipation
Luckily, constipation is not a really major problem. With the help of several remedies for constipation, you will be able to bid this health problem adieu. Some of the most effective constipation remedies that you can rely on include the following:
1. Change your diet
As mentioned, dietary fiber is key to proper digestion and at the same time excretion. Try to inject fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. It not only keeps your stomach fit and healthy, but helps in cleansing your colon too.
2. Keep drinking water
Water is the cheapest remedy available to you. Drink at least the recommended eight to 10 glasses of water for good health and proper bowel movement.
3. Take vitamin and mineral supplementation
Vitamins and minerals which include vitamin C, folic acid, iron and magnesium keeps your body in top working condition. They help in getting rid of constipation.
Constipation remedies are really helpful. If you have been battling with constipation for a long time, you need to act now and fast. Consider the mentioned remedies for constipation and see their efficacy for yourself.
Constipation among babies are common especially those who are fed with infant formula. However this does not mean that breast-fed babies are not susceptible to this condition. All babies have the tendencies to get constipated either through the milk or food they consume or because of any digestive anomaly. If your baby is experiencing the discomfort of constipation, it is advisable to find baby constipation remedies right away. They can be natural or prescription treatments given by his or her doctor.
Again, breast feeding your baby does not exempt him or her from getting constipated. However, studies reveal that children who are breast-fed have lower chances of developing such disorder. In order to know whether or not your child is constipated, it is important that you know their bowel movement, although, dry and solid stool is the typical manifestation of a constipated child. Below are the common features of baby’s feces according to the kind of nourishment they have.
Breast fed infants – Babies who are fed on breast milk don’t really have much trouble defecating. In fact, most of them defecate after each feeding or at least once a day. This is because breast fed babies have soft and quite runny stool. They usually have healthy digestive tract and so they normally have feces that are bright orange in color and sometimes appear to have some sort of white speckles.
Formula fed babies – Infants who are feeding mostly on milk formula also generate soft feces. They also have regular bowel movement but once a day or once every other day. Their feces are usually grayish-green, yellow and sometimes brown or tan color. The color actually differs depending on the kind of milk formula used because every milk producer has its unique formulation. In case, your baby gets constipated, better ask his or her doctor for proper baby constipation remedies. Remember that you child is still very young so never attempt to use the ones you have in your medicine cabinet or just buy suppository without the supervision of a physician.
Babies fed on mostly solid food – Once your baby started to eat solid food, his stool can be quite solid and so bowel movement can be a little difficult. Since there can be instances where food particles will not be properly digested, it is advisable to provide your baby lots of liquid such as water and juice in addition to his milk. Giving fiber-rich fruits and vegetables can prevent having solid stool.
So, what brings about constipation on babies?
Most of the time, babies get constipated when they lack fluids like water, juice or milk in their diet. Another reason is when the baby starts eating solid food. The food particles get impacted within the large intestine and so expelling them out is not that easy since babies feel uncomfortable straining. Once the baby miss a bowel movement, the wastes tend to become harder and more solid, so the more your baby will not be able to defecate. This worsens the condition.
Pregnancy is a delicate stage for both the mother and the unborn child. As a mother, you must do all the safety precautions available just to ensure your health and of your baby. Constipation is one of the many complications that may arise during pregnancy. Because of the added weight in the woman’s body, bowel movement becomes a challenge. Pregnancy constipation remedies can help address the situation and make you feel better.
Preventing and treating pregnancy constipation
Constipation during pregnancy can be attributed to various factors. They could be because of stress, anxiety for the health of the baby, lack of physical exercise, and low-fiber diet. Hormonal change is also a culprit since pregnant women have varying levels of hormones in their body. This change can make the intestinal muscles relax and cause bowels to move slower.
How can you prevent constipation? Here are some pregnancy constipation remedies that can address your health concern:
1. Load up on water
Water remains to be one of the most effective pregnancy constipation remedies safe for pregnant women. If you sweat a lot, move a lot, or if the weather is too hot, you need to increase your fluid intake. Drink at least 12 cups of water every day. This will help soften your stools.
2. Enrich your diet
It is expected that you eat healthily during your pregnancy. Vegetables and fruits contain the right amounts of dietary fiber that can help pass your stool easily. Rather than taking in fiber supplements, it is best if you get your fiber needs from natural sources. Moreover, vegetables and fruits contain important vitamins and minerals good for the health of your baby.
3. Reduce iron intake
Iron is recommended for pregnant women. But if you suspect that your iron medication makes you constipated, you need to reduce your intake of it. If you receive good nutrition, this will most likely meet your iron needs during pregnancy. This is one of the best pregnancy constipation remedies that can help you out. Talk to your obstetrician about it. More often than not, your doctor will conduct several tests to check your iron levels. Your physician will also make the necessary recommendations to manage your intake of iron.
4. Exercise regularly
You do not need to run around or jog for hours, even simple brisk walking will do. Such exercises will stimulate proper bowel movement. Aside from walking, you can swim, do pre-natal yoga, and others.
There are a lot of pregnancy constipation remedies that can make you feel better. But if you are going to take in medicines, try to check with your doctor. Never self-medicate as it may have negative effects to your unborn baby’s health.
One of the most common digestive disorder complaints in America is constipation. While bowel movements differ from one person to another, an individual should at least pass feces at least once a day. In case you pass hard stool after three days has lapsed, this means you are constipated. This particular health condition can make you feel really uncomfortable which is why you have severe constipation remedies that you can rely on to. If you find yourself straining during passing of bowels, these remedies will help you a lot.
Some of the best severe constipation remedies that you can depend on include the following:
Laxatives are very effective in promoting soft stools. If you are not fond of usng the usual over-the-counter laxatives, you may opt for herbal laxatives. Some of the ingredients of the said laxatives include aloe, senna, cascara sagrada, buckthorn, and rhubarb. These herbs, especially senna, are effective treatments for constipation. Patients are instructed to use laxatives for a week and should be taken considerably under medical supervision. Even if these stool softeners are made of natural ingredients, prolonged use is linked to chronic diarrhea and potassium depletion.
2. Dietary Fiber
Aside from taking stool softeners, dietary fiber is one of the most effective and safest severe constipation remedies. You can easily include fiber in your diet by taking in more vegetables and fruits. Fiber plays an important role in treating constipation. So if you are fond of eating meat, try to lessen it for the meantime. Introduce more vegetables, whole grains, and fruits. The said food groups contain high amounts of insoluble fiber.
Together with fiber, you must increase your fluid intake. Make sure that you drink enough fluids to last you the whole day. Water and fluids in general can make bowel softer and easier to pass. If you are going to take in dietary fiber supplements, double your water intake. This is one of the best severe constipation remedies that helped many people suffering from constipation.
Probiotics, like lactobacillus acidophilus, can stimulate bowel movement. This microbial organism can already be found in the digestive tract. Probiotics can help promote good health by suppressing the development of harmful bacteria. Based on studies, probiotics can help people avoid constipation. Probiotics can be found in yogurt and in some probiotic-enriched milk and juices. For constipated children, probiotics make great alternatives for prune juice.
If none of these remedies worked for you, you can try acupressure. It is an old healing practice that makes use of finger pressures. An acupuncturist can perform this well. After the session, you will feel instant relief for sure. However, pregnant women are not advised to undergo acupressure.
Nobody likes to suffer from a bloated stomach. Severe constipation remedies can benefit you a lot, especially if you have been suffering from constipation for a long time. These remedies are very easy and quick to do, effective, proven safe, and cost effective.
When it comes to treating certain health disorders, many people shy away from over-the-counter drugs and medicines. They are concerned with the negative effects that they might get from using the conventional medicines. Nowadays, there are a lot of natural remedies that you can use. Say that you have not passed stool for a couple of days, there are home remedies for constipation in adults that can provide you with immediate relief. After all, it is vital that you excrete your feces in order to stay healthy.
Some of the best home remedies for constipation in adults that you can consider include the following:
- Bael Fruit – In general, fruits make great home remedies for constipation in adults. They contain the right amount of dietary fiber needed by the body. As you may be aware of, fiber helps cleanse the body. It also aids in cleansing your system and removing waste including feces. The properties of bael fruit can tone up the intestines and promote regular bowel movement.
- Water therapy – Dehydration increases your chance of being constipated. If you do not take in enough water, you will suffer from dry and hard stools. You need to make sure that you drink water before and after every meals and throughout the date. If you are constantly on the move, you need to double your water intake. This will allow you to keep up with the bodily fluids you lose through sweating and urinating.
- Castor Oil – Castor oil can be readily purchased at most stores. There are some people who believe that a few drops of this oil can increase the lubrication in the anal. This will pave the way for smoother bowel movement. Take about two to four teaspoons of castor oil.
- Whole grains – Whole grains can be found in your breakfast cereal. If you are feeling rather bloated and full, skip a full breakfast meal. Opt to eat a bowl of cereal with milk instead. The grains in most cereal brands have high levels of fiber. Add to that the nutrition that you get.
- Aloe juice – Herbal juices are also effective home remedies for constipation in adults. They are readily available. You can purchase these juices easily at supermarkets. Take for instance aloe juice. Aloe contains essential vitamins and minerals needed by the body. Aside from that, it can help soften the stools. If you are not fond of the taste, you can always add a bit of honey to make it sweeter.
- Move and exercise – Physical activities are also good home remedies for constipation in adults. You need not to enrol yourself in a gym. Just make sure that you do simple cardiovascular exercises within the comforts of your home. Being active gets the bowel working well.
These are just some of the ideal home remedies for constipation in adults that can help solve your problem. Alternative approaches to treatment are as effective. The best part is that they lack the adverse effects that you fear most.